GREEN TEA SHORTBREAD
Green tea turns these cookies an elegant shade of green and the sparkling sugar makes them glitter. For more green tea flavour, use up to 2 tbsp (30 mL) powdered green tea.
- 1 cup (250 mL) butter
- ½ cup (125 mL) granulated sugar
- 2 cups (500 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) powdered green tea (matcha)
- ½ tsp (2 mL) salt
- ¼ cup (50 mL) coarse sparkling sugar (optional)
1. Cream butter with granulated sugar until light.
2. Combine flour, green tea powder and salt in a bowl and add to butter mixture. Mix only until combined. Divide into two parts, flatten slightly, wrap and refrigerate for at least one hour.
3. Roll out each piece of dough on a floured surface, ¼-inch (5 mm) thick. Cut out with your fave cookie cutter. Place on baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Sprinkle with sparkling sugar and press in slightly. Bake 12 to 15 minutes in a preheated 325°F (160°C) oven. Do not let cookies brown. Cool on racks. Makes 36 to 40 cookies
As always, the Monk is willing to sample the results of your culinary experimentations—especially sweet ones.
Click the pic to see another scrumptious green tea shortbread recipe.